By Ivan Ristic
FULLY REVISED IN AUGUST 2015.
Bulletproof SSL and TLS is an entire consultant to utilizing SSL and TLS encryption to install safe servers and internet functions. Written by way of Ivan Ristic, the writer of the preferred SSL Labs website, this booklet will educate you every little thing you must recognize to guard your platforms from eavesdropping and impersonation attacks.
In this e-book, you can find simply the correct mix of idea, protocol aspect, vulnerability and weak spot details, and deployment suggestion to get your activity done:
- Comprehensive insurance of the ever-changing box of SSL/TLS and web PKI, with updates to the electronic version
- For IT protection pros, aid to appreciate the risks
- For procedure directors, support to install platforms securely
- For builders, support to layout and enforce safe net applications
- Practical and concise, with further intensity whilst info are relevant
- Introduction to cryptography and the newest TLS protocol version
- Discussion of weaknesses at each point, overlaying implementation concerns, HTTP and browser difficulties, and protocol vulnerabilities
- Coverage of the most recent assaults, resembling BEAST, CRIME, BREACH, fortunate thirteen, RC4 biases, Triple Handshake assault, and Heartbleed
- Thorough deployment suggestion, together with complicated applied sciences, equivalent to Strict shipping protection, content material protection coverage, and pinning
- Guide to utilizing OpenSSL to generate keys and certificate and to create and run a personal certification authority
- Guide to utilizing OpenSSL to check servers for vulnerabilities
- Practical recommendation for safe server configuration utilizing Apache httpd, IIS, Java, Nginx, Microsoft home windows, and Tomcat
This ebook comes in paperback and a number of electronic codecs with no DRM. Digital model of Bulletproof SSL and TLS will be acquired at once from the writer, at feistyduck.com.
Read Online or Download Bulletproof SSL and TLS: Understanding and Deploying SSL/TLS and PKI to Secure Servers and Web Applications PDF
Best cryptography books
Cryptography performs a key position in making sure the privateness and integrity of knowledge and the protection of computing device networks. advent to trendy Cryptography presents a rigorous but obtainable remedy of contemporary cryptography, with a spotlight on formal definitions, specific assumptions, and rigorous proofs.
The authors introduce the middle rules of recent cryptography, together with the fashionable, computational method of safety that overcomes the restrictions of excellent secrecy. an in depth remedy of private-key encryption and message authentication follows. The authors additionally illustrate layout ideas for block ciphers, corresponding to the information Encryption usual (DES) and the complicated Encryption ordinary (AES), and current provably safe buildings of block ciphers from lower-level primitives. the second one 1/2 the publication makes a speciality of public-key cryptography, starting with a self-contained advent to the quantity idea had to comprehend the RSA, Diffie-Hellman, El Gamal, and different cryptosystems. After exploring public-key encryption and electronic signatures, the publication concludes with a dialogue of the random oracle version and its applications.
Serving as a textbook, a reference, or for self-study, creation to fashionable Cryptography provides the mandatory instruments to totally comprehend this attention-grabbing subject.
Quality: Vector (converted from nice scan), Searchable, Bookmarked
Wi>Understanding home windows CardSpaceis the 1st insider’s advisor to home windows CardSpace and the wider subject of identification administration for technical and company execs. Drawing at the authors’ extraordinary event earned through operating with the CardSpace product staff and by way of imposing state of the art CardSpace-based structures at prime agencies, it bargains unheard of perception into the realities of id administration: from making plans and layout via deployment.
Safety Smarts for the Self-Guided IT expert this entire, functional source for safety and IT pros provides the underpinnings of cryptography and lines examples of the way protection is more advantageous industry-wide through encryption ideas. Cryptography: InfoSec seasoned consultant will give you an actionable, rock-solid starting place in encryption and may demystify even a number of the more difficult recommendations within the box.
- Visual Cryptography and Secret Image Sharing (Digital Imaging and Computer Vision)
- Data Privacy and Security, 1st Edition
- A Cryptography Primer: Secrets and Promises
- Introduction to the theory of schemes
- Introduction to Cryptography with Java Applets
Extra info for Bulletproof SSL and TLS: Understanding and Deploying SSL/TLS and PKI to Secure Servers and Web Applications
The default compression method null indicates no compression. Extensions The extension block contains an arbitrary number of extensions that carry additional data. I discuss the most commonly seen extensions later in this chapter. ServerHello The purpose of the ServerHello message is for the server to communicate the selected connection parameters back to the client. This message is similar in structure to ClientHello but contains only one option per field: 6 For more information about this problem, refer to the section called “Netscape Navigator (1994)” in Chapter 6.
Digital Signatures A digital signature is a cryptographic scheme that makes it possible to verify the authenticity of a digital message or document. The MAC, which I described earlier, is a type of digital signature; it can be used to verify authenticity provided that the secret hashing key is securely exchanged ahead of time. Although this type of verification is very useful, it’s limited because it still relies on a private secret key. 14 RSA (Wikipedia, retrieved 2 June 2014) Building Blocks 13 Digital signatures similar to the real-life handwritten ones are possible with the help of public-key cryptography; we can exploit its asymmetric nature to devise an algorithm that allows a message signed by a private key to be verified with the corresponding public key.
For example, 128-bit AES requires 16 bytes of input data and produces the same amount as output. This is fine if you have all of your data in 16-byte blocks, but what do you do when you have less than that? One approach is to append some extra data to the end of your plaintext. This extra data is known as padding. The padding can’t consist of just any random data. It must follow some format that allows the receiver to see the padding for what it is and know exactly how many bytes to discard. In TLS, the last byte of an encryption block contains padding length, which indicates how many bytes of padding (excluding the padding length byte) there are.